Thursday, August 5, 2010

Conversations with an OFW and WRS

An OFW was referred to me by one of my colleagues, he already have his inquiries and attended so many WRS seminars being offered by some of the Water Companies.

He was very inquisitive about the matter to the point that he almost knew all the theoretical details of water refilling station business.

I was very impressed, but when I asked him why is it that, he is still undecided to venture in the business, he replied, puro drawing lang kasi yung sinasabi nila tungkol sa mga servicing at product warranty yung iba nga raw pretend to be na kabisado na ang operations pero when I to ask detailed questions, di na nila ma-handle.

By the way the OFW that I am talking to, has a master’s degree in the field of marketing and is currently working abroad as a Sales Manager in an insurance company.

I was shocked and felt that I am nothing compared to this man in front of me.

We had a nice talk but in the end, he told me that he will no longer invest in Water Refilling Station business due to some reasons.

1) The business is intended for his son and as of the moment, his son is still immature to handle the business and it will be a very big risk to gamble.

2) What was discussed to him about the ROI was too good to be true.Sobra sobra ang assumptions ng gross sales at net profit. He was very disgusted to the presentation and he even commented that if this is the right move to earn money, then this companies selling water refilling station package should be the first one to put up the business and not to share the concept to anyone else. He understood that there is profit in the business but to make an exaggerated presentation just to convince the client that they will earn the easy way is crazy.

3)Most of the companies that he inquired always committed quality and prompt service, but unknowingly, when he happened to talk to some WRS owners, most of them commented that services are not poor, but very very poor.

4)The product warranty that was mentioned does not include the major parts like the membranes, pump head, filters and other consumables, the issue now is, what if the failure of the said items is caused by the inferior workmanship of the system? Why will the client suffer for these shortcomings?

5) Not all sales staff and even the managers know what they are really dealing with.

As I heard all of these, I cannot say anything, this man has been working abroad for the past 15 years as a professional salesperson and was greatly influenced by western culture, what he is commenting was an opportunity for us in the water industry to consider so that we can be more successful in the future.

As for my personal comment, though I was unable to convince him to engage in the water business, I was very grateful for the thoughts that he imparted.

- Orly Shanghai

No comments: